Old 08-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Chuck

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 20:13:20 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"Chuck" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 10:51:34 -0000, Mr Libido Incognito
wrote:

Vox Humana wrote on 06 Sep 2005 in rec.food.baking

Chuck" wrote in message
For cheesecakes I've made in past, I've always used a
flour-sugar-butter and one egg yoke dough for the crust. Keeping
spring form pan, and dough chilled, the dough could be sliced and
formed to thickness needed to go up side of pan and stay there till
filling was added.. (makes a "plain cookie" type crust..)

Today (for the first time) I'm making a graham cracker crusted
cheesecake. The recipe called for crumbs, sugar and melted butter.
Even tried chilling "dough" I couldn't get it to stick to side of
chilled or room temperature pan. I instead settled on "ramping"
crumbs up to side of pan.. I think a higher butter content would
have helped.. Any ideas?
(It's still in the oven.. so I don't know results yet..)
Thanks
Chuck

The crumbs don't make a dough. It looks like you figured out how to
work with it. You could add more butter if you want. I generally put
the mixture in the bottom of the pan and use a glass or mug to tamp it
down and up the sides of the pan. Of course, it won't go to the top,
just up an inch or two.

A dash of cinnamon helps the taste in a graham waffer crust.

We cut the New York style cheesecake today.. served with Comstock
brand blueberry pie filling.. Best cheesecake I've ever eaten... and
I try it every where I see it offered! (just ask my doctor..)

Here's were I got the recipe
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/102592
(My next cheesecake is going to be a "Key Lime Cheesecake" from the
same site..)
I didn't use a water bath as I need to buy a pan the right
shape/depth.
It didn't crack, looked great, tasted even better.
I always read the reviews prior to trying new recipe.. as I did this
time.. Following others suggestions, I made the following
adjustments to recipe: Initial temperature of 500 degrees F. for 10
minutes then change temperature to 200 degrees, opening door of oven 5
inches for 2 minutes to let it cool to 200 a little quicker. Then cook
at 200 for about 1 hr 40 minutes.

Now new problem... I cut the cheesecake at work.. now everyone wants
one! Considering the low cook temp (200 degrees) should I expect
any problems cooking 2 or 3 cheesecakes on same rack at same time? or
should I raise both racks higher and use top and center levels of
oven? (this is a home, electric, non-convection oven)
They wouldn't be too crowded, maybe turn cakes after 45 minutes or
so? or shift those from middle shelf to top shelf and top to middle?

Another question: Will freezing lemon and orange zest hurt its
flavor? It would keep me from having to buy two lemons and two oranges
at a time to make sure they're fresh..
Now to find where I can get cream cheese in bulk!

Thanks for the advice
Chuck

You will find that ovens have hot spots. The back of the oven is warmer
than the front. Putting three cakes in the oven at once will probably
extend the baking time a little, The cake on the upper shelf will brown
more and be done sooner than the one on the lower shelf. If you have three
on one shelf the one in the rear will be done sooner than the one in the
front. You will have to keep an eye on them and shift the pans as
necessary.

The recipe you linked to is one that I used for some time (although I got it
from a 1960s era cookbook). It makes a substantial cake. I find that the
large number of yolks can leave a distinct "eggy" flavor. I like it, but
switched to the recipe that I posted. It is all a matter of personal
taste - and how bad can any cheesecake be? I don't think I ever had a
cheesecake that I didn't like - except for the "no bake" abominations from
boxes that taste like they came from Dupont lab.

I missed your recipe.. would you re post it for me?
Thanks
Chuck