~patches~

jmcquown wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

>>>You can buy low-sodium V-8 juice

>>Have you ever tried that?? It's horrible! I bought a
>>bunch of cans of it (must have been Costco, all I can
>>think) never having tried it ... took me months before
>>I admitted the error of my ways and ditched it.
>>
>>nancy

> Hey, I wasn't the one complaining about V-8 being salty. (laughing) And
> it's just a sprinkle of celery salt! My father bought my mom two CASES of
> low-sodium Campbell's soup - one was chicken noodle, the other chicken &
> rice. He was trying to be helpful. She said, "Jill, this stuff is awful!
> Do you want it?" Sure, Mom, I love awful stuff!

I can't attest to your mom's observations on the low-sodium soup but
from experience any product that says low-fat, low-sodium, sugar-free,
or no-fat generally tastes like crap. I think it is because your taste
buds are accustomed to the higher levels of these ingredients so rebell
when introduced to lower levels. One problem we noticed when going to
lower sodium about 18 years ago was things tasted somewhat bland. That
was back when I bought commercially prepared soups and canned vegetables
for those vegetables I didn't freeze. Even frozen vegetables have some
amount of sodium in them. The problem wasn't in the foods I prepared at
home because even then I seldom added salt when cooking. The salt was
at the table if someone wanted it. That's only because we had acquired
a taste for higher commercially prepared sodium laden foods. Now we
experience the opposite effect. We find many commercially prepared
foods taste way too salty.

Now I can and freeze most of our vegetables and use no salt. We have
learned to use other herbs and spices to enhance the flavour if necessary.

> Reminds me of a comedian, I don't remember his name now, who said, Why do
> people say things like, "Ewww! This milk is spoiled. Here, taste it." LOL

That's right up there with "oh does this ever look gross, come see". It
must just be human nature to share these types of things. Body
functions is another thing humans especially those of the male
persuasion like to share