William R. Watt

"kr_gentner" ) writes:
> What makes peaches mold on the inside?

The way I read it is the ripening of fruit is the breakdown of pectin
molecules into sugar molecules (pectose to fructose). Pectin is what makes
fruit (and jams and jelly) firm. So the fruit gets softer and softer and
sweeter and seeter until it turns to mush. It changes colour at the same time.
So "rotten" fruit is really not rotted. Rot is decomposition due to mould
fungus eating the fibres, eg rotting wood. I'd say if it isn't fuzzy it's
not mould. Well, peaches are already fuzzy but not that kind of fuzz.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm