Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 06 Sep 2005 01:51:57p, cathyxyz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Dimitri wrote:
>> I don't think you can pay the N.O. cops enough money.
>> Here is an unfair comparison.
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

>> Los Angeles Police Department
>> New Recruits are hired at Step 1 unless additional education or
>> experience apply. Full Salary and benefits provided while Recruit is in
>> training at the Academy. Salaries are adjusted annually.
>>
>> RANK STEP 1 STEP 2 STEP 3 STEP 4 STEP 5 STEP 6 STEP 7
>> PO I $51,114 $53,160 $55,248 $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612
>> PO II - $55,248 $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612 $72,391
>> PO III - $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612 $72,391 $76,546
>>

>> New Orleans Police Department.
>>
>> PositionAnnual
>> Salary Including State Pay *, Uniform,
>> Millage
>> Police Recruit $25,508 $30,308
>> Police Officer I $27,825 $32,625
>> Police Officer II $29,243 $34,043
>> Police Officer III $30,732 $35,532
>> Police Officer IV $32,298 $37,098
>> Police Sergeant $36,119 $40,919
>> Police Lieutenant $39,400 $44,200
>> Police Captain $46,306 $51,106
>> Police Major $50,513 $55,313
>> Asst. Superintendent $60,096$64,896
>>

> Dimitri,
>
> I find this very interesting and sadly, very familiar. Same thing goes
> on here.... geography influences wages. IMHO "cops" never get paid
> enough. The violent crime rate here is bad, so our guys literally put
> their lives on the line on a daily basis - never mind what would happen
> in such an horrific crisis as has occurred in N.O.
>
> But I have to compare apples with apples.... so I need to ask you a few
> questions...
>
> What does the *including state pay* mean exactly? Do only some people
> qualify?
>
> As we work on weekly or monthly budgets in this part of the world, the
> minimum of $25k would work out to approx US$490 per week, or US$2125 per
> month. Would this be considered a "livable" wage in the US? Over here it
> *could* be (if I do an "exchange rate" conversion to our local currency
> and take the local "cost of living" and inflation into consideration.
>
> I have seen quite a few threads on weekly grocery spending in the US,
> but nothing about rents/mortgages, gas/electricity bills, cost of
> household appliances, not to mention education; and dare I say
> fuel/transport costs..... the list goes on..... so I have no idea. I
> would appreciate your comments.
>
> Thanks

As the realtors say here in the US, "location, location, location". As I
said in a previous post, it's all relative. Both are true.

Cost of living varies widely (wildly) throughout the US, as do wages.
Someone stated that the average home in or around NO was $125K. Here in
the Phoenix area that would be doubled, at $250K. Obviously, like the gas
situation, the prices are outrageous and becoming moreso all over the US.

The wage to cost of living ratio is more often similar from area to area,
even though the dollars vary. $25K would be a livable wage in some areas
of the US. in NYC, however, 4 times that would probably get you an
"average" lifestyle.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.