cathyxyz

Dimitri wrote:
> I don't think you can pay the N.O. cops enough money.
> Here is an unfair comparison.
>
> Dimitri
>

> Los Angeles Police Department
> New Recruits are hired at Step 1 unless additional education or experience
> apply. Full Salary and benefits provided while Recruit is in training at the
> Academy. Salaries are adjusted annually.
>
> RANK STEP 1 STEP 2 STEP 3 STEP 4 STEP 5 STEP 6 STEP 7
> PO I $51,114 $53,160 $55,248 $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612
> PO II - $55,248 $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612 $72,391
> PO III - $58,318 $61,533 $64,999 $68,612 $72,391 $76,546
>

> New Orleans Police Department.
>
> PositionAnnual
> Salary Including State Pay *, Uniform, Millage
> Police Recruit $25,508 $30,308
> Police Officer I $27,825 $32,625
> Police Officer II $29,243 $34,043
> Police Officer III $30,732 $35,532
> Police Officer IV $32,298 $37,098
> Police Sergeant $36,119 $40,919
> Police Lieutenant $39,400 $44,200
> Police Captain $46,306 $51,106
> Police Major $50,513 $55,313
> Asst. Superintendent $60,096$64,896

Dimitri,

I find this very interesting and sadly, very familiar. Same thing goes
on here.... geography influences wages. IMHO "cops" never get paid
enough. The violent crime rate here is bad, so our guys literally put
their lives on the line on a daily basis - never mind what would happen
in such an horrific crisis as has occurred in N.O.

But I have to compare apples with apples.... so I need to ask you a few
questions...

What does the *including state pay* mean exactly? Do only some people
qualify?

As we work on weekly or monthly budgets in this part of the world, the
minimum of $25k would work out to approx US$490 per week, or US$2125 per
month. Would this be considered a "livable" wage in the US? Over here it
*could* be (if I do an "exchange rate" conversion to our local currency
and take the local "cost of living" and inflation into consideration.

I have seen quite a few threads on weekly grocery spending in the US,
but nothing about rents/mortgages, gas/electricity bills, cost of
household appliances, not to mention education; and dare I say
fuel/transport costs..... the list goes on..... so I have no idea. I
would appreciate your comments.

Thanks

--
Cheers