usual suspect

wrote:

>>>That's why Physicians' Committee for Responsible Medicine was
>>>formed

>>No, it wasn't. PCRM was formed as an outgrowth of animal rights groups,
>>not medical groups. Physicians make up less than five-percent of PCRM's
>>membership.

> You ignorant git!!

*You* ignorant git!!

> PCRM was originally formed by

Animal rights activists.

As can be seen on PCRM's own Web site, despite its name, fewer
than 5 per cent of PCRM's members have medical degrees. The
group has a long history of opposing important research prograns
funded by respected health charities such as the American Heart
Association, the March of Dimes, St. Jude Children's Hospital,
the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and the American
Cancer Society.

PCRM opposes any use of laboratory animals in biomedical
research, regardless of the benefit. It was created in 1984 to
provide a false patina of scientific credibility to the extreme
animal rights agenda espoused by PETA and other groups. Its
involvement in animal rights activism remains strong. PCRM's
president, Neal Barnard, is also president of thr Foundation to
Support Animal Protection, which is housed in PETA's
headquarters in Norfolk. PETA founder Ingrid Newkirk is the
foundation's vice president.

According to IRS records, in 2000, the sole grant awarded by the
foundation was to PCRM, in the amount of $432,524, nearly a
fifth of PCRM's budget.
http://www.amprogress.org/News/News.cfm?ID=149&c=65

Despite its name, only about 5% of PCRM's membership are
physicians. Recently PCRM has been spending much of its $2.9
million dollar annual budget attempting to re-invent itself as
a health/consumer watchdog group and draw media attention away
from its adherence to the animal rights agenda.

Nevertheless, PCRM has continued to promote that agenda in its
joint campaign with PETA against America's leading health
charities that fund animal based biomedical research. We are
not only talking about the March of Dimes, but also the American
Heart Association , the American Cancer Society, St. Jude
Children's Research Hospital, American Foundation for AIDS
Research, The Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation, The
American Red Cross and, yes, even Boys Town. Seventy charities
in all are currently on PCRM/PETA's "don't donate" list. These
are organizations that through their grants and contributions to
biomedical research are responsible for hundreds of specific
achievements in medical progress. These achievements range from
development of the polio vaccine to the latest in genetic
discoveries including identifying the genetic basis for
diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and many types of cancer.
http://www.amprogress.org/News/News.cfm?ID=360&c=63

See also: http://www.physicianscam.com/article_detail.cfm

> MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS

They're not medical professionals. They're animal rights activists.