Joe Sallustio

Don't do that, what if the wine takes on the taste of the baloon?
Rubber and wine aren't normally in contact with one another for any
length of time. I think a safer bet (if necessary) is to use a similar
wine, you would not be adding much at all.

Don't rack until there is a reason, I'm not sure how you ended up
losing 1.5 gallon in racking unless you you were pressing off the
skins. 1/2 gallon to top should work out well for you; it's 10 %.
Make sure that half gallon is topped up too if you want to stick with
only one variety in this batch.

Patience is a virtue, especially in winemaking. ) You should start
to see the wine clear in the neck and striate soon if it's done
fermenting; maybe a month from now it will look mostly clear, it will
look darker where it's clean. You can use a flashlight to see how
things are going. Look for the beam itself; if there are suspended
solids you will see the beam reflect off of them.

Joe