Old 04-09-2005, 02:40 AM
Chuck

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 22:45:59 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"Chuck" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 21:57:57 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"Chuck" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 19:57:29 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"Chuck" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone have any web sites or tables for adjusting cheesecake bake
times or temps when using a recipe for a 10 spring form ,, in a 5 or

8
inch spring form? Where to start?
Also,, of all the cooking newsgroups.. is there a better one that I
should ask this in?
Thanks
Chuck

Cheesecake is best baked at a low temperature for a long time. Using

water bath is also helpful. Therefore, I wouldn't change the
temperature.

The recipe that I've been using calls for 475 for 12 minutes then 300
for 50 minutes, followed by a cool down routine..

Baking time will be less for the 5 inch cake - maybe 45-50 minutes vs.
60-75
minutes for the larger sizes. The most important thing is to know how

tell if the cake is done. In your oven it may be significantly

different
than in my oven. If this is a one-of, then just check after about 45
minutes and then every 10 minutes thereafter. If you are going to

make
these cakes on a regular basis, note the time it took the first few
batches.

Ok.. How do I know if my cheesecake is done?
In the past I've just followed the time set forth in the recipe..

I might skip the 475F first step. That seem awfully high to me,
particurally for the small cakes. Afer all, cheesecake is really a

custard.
The texture is better if you heat is slowly, thus the water bath. I see

no
reason to brown the top. I might go with 325 or 350 in a waterbath for

an
hour. Then I generally turn off the oven and let it sit, with the door

ajar
for another hour to cool slowly. Your cake is done when the center

jiggles
slighty when the pan is shaken. If it is set solid, it is over-done.

The
cake will become more solid on cooling. It is best to refrigerate the

cake
for several hours before serving.

Thanks.. When it comes to baking I've always been cautious about
deviating from recipe.. I'll try the lower temps.. that would help
with cracking problems that sometimes occur..
Chuck

To minimize cracking:
bake at a moderate temperature
use a water bath (put boiling water in a large pan and set the foil-covered
baking pan in that
avoid beating a high speed as air causes expansion and cracking
cool slowly in the oven before bringing to room temp
Release the cake from the sides of the pan before refrigerating

If you have a large food processor, use that for the batter as it is
unlikely to aerate the batter.

Thanks for the information... I'll try using the tips tomorrow..
The chocolate cheesecake I've been making tastes great, and when it
doesn't crack it looks great... It's just that it's so rich,, a 10
inch cake is enough for 20 people...
So tomorrow it's 2 SMALL cheesecakes and a batch of biscuits!
Chuck