Vox Humana

8

> >temperature.
> >>
> >> The recipe that I've been using calls for 475 for 12 minutes then 300
> >> for 50 minutes, followed by a cool down routine..

> >60-75

different

make

> >batches.
> >> >

> >> Ok.. How do I know if my cheesecake is done?
> >> In the past I've just followed the time set forth in the recipe..

> >I might skip the 475F first step. That seem awfully high to me,
> >particurally for the small cakes. Afer all, cheesecake is really a

custard.
> >The texture is better if you heat is slowly, thus the water bath. I see

no
> >reason to brown the top. I might go with 325 or 350 in a waterbath for

an
> >hour. Then I generally turn off the oven and let it sit, with the door

ajar
> >for another hour to cool slowly. Your cake is done when the center

jiggles
> >slighty when the pan is shaken. If it is set solid, it is over-done.

The
> >cake will become more solid on cooling. It is best to refrigerate the

cake
> >for several hours before serving.
> >

> Thanks.. When it comes to baking I've always been cautious about
> deviating from recipe.. I'll try the lower temps.. that would help
> with cracking problems that sometimes occur..
> Chuck

To minimize cracking:
bake at a moderate temperature
use a water bath (put boiling water in a large pan and set the foil-covered
baking pan in that
avoid beating a high speed as air causes expansion and cracking
cool slowly in the oven before bringing to room temp
Release the cake from the sides of the pan before refrigerating

If you have a large food processor, use that for the batter as it is
unlikely to aerate the batter.