JEP62

CJ wrote:
> Alright. Next (related) question.
>
> Seems like ferment to dryness is the most popular method.
>
> Now, what if I were to say that I'm looking to make an icewine come
> late December/January from juice I'd buy from Niagara, so I'm more
> interest in using a method that will be practical (and practice) for
> the icewine (i.e. re-sweeten is probably unfeasible here as I'd need to
> hold back at least half the juice to re-sweeten to 10%+ residual
> sugar).
>
> I live in Ottawa, where freezing temps usually start to by early
> november--i.e. it should hover around freezing out in the garage by
> then, so space in a fridge isn't a necessity for me in order to cool it
> down and leave it there for months.
>
> Thus, if I want to use this method, I'd need my residual sugar to be
> where I want it no earlier than early november.
>
> Can someone suggest a yeast and fermentation temperature that would
> result in a slow enough fermentation that this would work time-wise ?
> (I'd pick the grapes up in late Sept or Early October--lets say I start
> fermentation Oct. 1).
>

> Thanks.

I would go with ICV-D47 and a cool fermentation to slow it down. It
still may be difficult to make the fermentation last a month, but this
yeast is pretty sensitive to temperature. Even if it doesn't get cold
enouh in the garage when it's time to stop it, you could probably find
a way to chill it enough for a couple of weeks. Fridge, freezer or even
an ice water bath.

Keep in mind, if your eventual goal is to make a very sweet wine, you
may need to kick up the acid a bit to keep the wine in balance. IMHO, a
lot of the Niagra wineries don't balance the wine correctly and they
end up very cloying when compared to their German counterparts.

Andy