CJ wrote:
> I'm going to make a couple of batches of riesling this fall and I
> wanted to make one of these off-dry. I've made a lot of wine, but
> always fermented to dryness.
>
> I was wondering what is the best way to stop the fermentation once I
> get to the residual sugar level that I want ?
>
> Is it simply a matter of adding enough sulphite to stop it (or sulphite
> and rack at the same time) ?
>
> Will it be stable in this case, or could I end up just stunning the
> yeast only to have it start up again in the bottle ?
>
> What about selecting a yeast that can only survive to 10 or 11 %alc
> (does this type of yeast exist commercially or can they all survive
> upwards of 12%) ?
>
> Do I need to filter it finely enough to remove all yeast (I'd prefer to
> avoid filtering if possible) ?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

I think you are on the right track with the yeast idea. Different
yeasts finish differently. Whitelabs has a sweet wine and mead yeast
you might want to try for what you are after. It is a liquid yeast and
a bit tempremental.

There are a couple of good ale yeasts that might give you the finish
you want, but ale yeasts tend to have a malty flavor. You may or may
not want this in a wine. (Nottihinham is good, and I think might give
you the results you are after.)

After these two, it might depend on what your brew supply store stocks.
They might have more suggestions. You might want to have a lenghty
conversation with one of the clerks there.

hope this helps,

roland