~patches~

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >, biig > wrote:
>

>> Does anyone have any care instructions for a window sill basil
>>plant. I picked one up at the grocery store this morning and am not
>>sure how much sun it needs. No instructions came with it. I know I
>>could google, but everyone here seems to have good hints on stuff.
>>Thanks....Sharon

> Full sun in the window, water as needed.
> Since I don't know what soil was used or how large the pot is, it's hard
> to give watering instructions. ;-)
>
> Just check the soil by feeling it (and be sure to check the level a bit
> deeper into the pot) and water when it feels dry, or the plant wilts,
> whichever comes first.
>
> Basil is pretty hardy. I grow it every year out in the herb garden.
>
> To prolong it's life, remove ANY bloom stalks as they appear!
>
> Basil is an annual so it will eventually die, so don't feel bad when it
> does!

Extend the life of basil either from the garden or windowsill by taking
cuttings and rooting them in water. I grow four kinds of basil and
aways plant two plants of each type. Then I use one plant for eating
and the other one for collecting seeds. Between the seeds and the
cuttings, I have a steady supply of basil. You can never have too much
basil