Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 23 Aug 2005 05:48:55a, Peter Aitken wrote in rec.food.equipment:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Mon 22 Aug 2005 11:37:50p, Cape Cod Bob wrote in rec.food.equipment:
>>
>>> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:33:50 +0800, "Raelene"

>>> Wood is porous. I would give up on the moldy piece, but if you want
>>> to try to salvage it, a swipe with very diluted bleach (1:100) would
>>> be the minimum I would go. Vinegar can be used but it's not as sure
>>> as bleach to kill molds.
>>>
>>> As for your new board, wipe with Mineral Oil (available in drugstores
>>> as a laxative), rewipe any areas that become dry within a few minutes.
>>> Let set for 24 hours and wipe thoroughly. Cooking oils are not
>>> recommended as they can turn rancid. Mineral oil is recommended by
>>> all woodworking groups. Here is a situation that you should trust
>>> wood people rather than cooks. ;-) Reapply the mineral oil only when
>>> you see the board start to dry out.
>>> ------------

>> Yes, bleach and mineral oil is definitely the way to go, and it will
>> work. But I would add another couple of steps, as well.
>>
>> The wood can tolerate more moisture than a mere swipe, as well as more
>> bleach for this cleaning process, and rather than give up on the moldy
>> piece, it's worth the risk.
>>
>> First, scrub the board well with plain water and a soft bristle brush.
>> Then soak the board in a stronger bleach solution, at least 1:10, for 5
>> minutes. Rinse well, and then soak the board in plain water for 10
>> minutes. Dry with a towel.
>>
>> Finally, thoroughly wet all surfaces of the board with hydrogen
>> peroxide and allow to air dry thoroughly.
>>
>> It's possible that there may still be some traces of the stains, but
>> the mold will definitely be gone.
>>
>> Last of all, apply mineral oil generously, then place on a rack in a
>> 225 degree oven for half an hour. Repeat.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>

> I would not heat the board in the oven. Why bother? It may cause warping
> or splitting.

If it is a treasured or expensive board, I probably wouldn't either.
However, the OP was considering tossing it if it couldn't be
cleaned/treated, so I think there was little to lose. The OP also had a
very good and more expensive board in good condition. This was a "last
resort" treatment.

FWIW, when I used wooden cutting boards (I now use poly), I always put the
board in a very low oven to insure sealing in the oil coating. They never
warped.

> If it is a treasured or expensive board you might find a local
> woodworker with a power planer who can take 1/8 inch off to give you a
> nice new surface. Then treat with mineral oil as others have described.

That's a great idea!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.