Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 22 Aug 2005 11:37:50p, Cape Cod Bob wrote in rec.food.equipment:

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:33:50 +0800, "Raelene"
> > wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Just wondering how to go about cleaning a dirty bread/cutting board.
>> It's been left on the sink & the end touching the stainless steel has
>>(in parts) gone dark brown & there are spots of mould growing on it.
>>
>>Also, I have bought a good quality one (round) & was wondering about
>>'preparing' the board & keeping it in good condition.

> Wood is porous. I would give up on the moldy piece, but if you want
> to try to salvage it, a swipe with very diluted bleach (1:100) would
> be the minimum I would go. Vinegar can be used but it's not as sure
> as bleach to kill molds.
>
> As for your new board, wipe with Mineral Oil (available in drugstores
> as a laxative), rewipe any areas that become dry within a few minutes.
> Let set for 24 hours and wipe thoroughly. Cooking oils are not
> recommended as they can turn rancid. Mineral oil is recommended by
> all woodworking groups. Here is a situation that you should trust
> wood people rather than cooks. ;-) Reapply the mineral oil only when
> you see the board start to dry out.
> ------------

Yes, bleach and mineral oil is definitely the way to go, and it will work.
But I would add another couple of steps, as well.

The wood can tolerate more moisture than a mere swipe, as well as more
bleach for this cleaning process, and rather than give up on the moldy
piece, it's worth the risk.

First, scrub the board well with plain water and a soft bristle brush.
Then soak the board in a stronger bleach solution, at least 1:10, for 5
minutes. Rinse well, and then soak the board in plain water for 10
minutes. Dry with a towel.

Finally, thoroughly wet all surfaces of the board with hydrogen peroxide
and allow to air dry thoroughly.

It's possible that there may still be some traces of the stains, but the
mold will definitely be gone.

Last of all, apply mineral oil generously, then place on a rack in a 225
degree oven for half an hour. Repeat.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0534-0, 08/22/2005
Tested on: 8/23/2005 1:43:06 AM