Cape Cod Bob

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:33:50 +0800, "Raelene"
> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Just wondering how to go about cleaning a dirty bread/cutting board. It's
>been left on the sink & the end touching the stainless steel has (in parts) gone
>dark brown & there are spots of mould growing on it.
>
>Also, I have bought a good quality one (round) & was wondering about 'preparing'
>the board & keeping it in good condition.

Wood is porous. I would give up on the moldy piece, but if you want
to try to salvage it, a swipe with very diluted bleach (1:100) would
be the minimum I would go. Vinegar can be used but it's not as sure
as bleach to kill molds.

As for your new board, wipe with Mineral Oil (available in drugstores
as a laxative), rewipe any areas that become dry within a few minutes.
Let set for 24 hours and wipe thoroughly. Cooking oils are not
recommended as they can turn rancid. Mineral oil is recommended by
all woodworking groups. Here is a situation that you should trust
wood people rather than cooks. ;-) Reapply the mineral oil only when
you see the board start to dry out.
There are no atheists in foxholes
or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
game.