Randall Nortman

On 2005-08-20, Will > wrote:
> So... I went to the original post to review the question. I see that
> you already have a tile system of sorts to sustain temp and so forth in
> the oven. My solution would be to keep that stuff. If you've used it
> for a while, it has already outgassed whatever there is to outgas. Why
> add something unnecessary to the landfill?

Is outgassing really the only concern? I would be more worried about
direct absorption through the bottom of the dough (to the extent that
I'm actually worried about it at all, which is a road we've already
been down).

> I would look for black steel pans, in lieu of the parchment
> "protection" option. I use small steel pizza pans that I bought, used,
> for $1 each at a restaurant supply place. I think a Pizza Hut had
> fallen off of the rails and unloaded a bunch of "personal pans" . They
> are the perfect size for inverting 1000 g. SD boules. I also use blue
> steel (an upscale variety of black steel) half sheet pans for rolls,
> flatbreads, baguettes. The steel works great, cures like cast iron,
> and, is indestructable. It is also easier than hauling a stone with
> corn meal in or out of the oven all of the time. Finally, the steel
> does not interfere with the beneficial "heat sink" effects your
> existing stone system.

Well, the steel will insulate a little bit, delaying (and diminishing)
the initial heat slightly as the pan absorbs heat from the stone
instead of the dough absorbing it directly. Also, it will trap
moisture under the crust (which I'm not sure is really all that
awful).

> I would categorize this response in the: keep it simple, stupid...
> file.

Agreed, and appreciated.

--
Randall