Peter G. \(Bigbird\)

Hi Jack,

If you've reduced carbs and have the genetic tendency, Gout is likely the
result. I've had it since last December but my kidney function tests come
out fine. My doc says it's the reduced carb and weight loss doing it. IIRC,
part of the fat metabolism process during weight loss produces uric acid
above what your body would normally have to handle. The allopurinol is a
common first step, I'm on 300mg/da.

There are many dietary things you can do. Try to google on gout & foods and
variations of that. Also google for anti-inflammatory & food. Inflammation
is a big part of gout.

I've added to my diet, black cherry juice concentrate, more yogurt and sour
cream, cider vinegar, more garlic, celery seed, fish oil, and occasional
fresh black or sour cherries.

I've eliminated coffee, red wine (really miss both) beef and chicken broth,
and drastically reduced all forms of beef. Spinach is high in purine but may
not have much effect on gout. There's much debate on vegetables that contain
purine wrt gout.

Push fluids. The more water you can process, the less likely to develop
kidney stones. It also dilutes the uric acid in the blood and can help
dissolve the uric crystals in your joints. In the same manner, if you're on
a diuretic, ask your doctor if you can stop or reduce the dosage. I had my
worst gout events when I was on one and no major ones since I quit.

You can also take NSAIDs to help reduce inflammation (helps the bg too) and
pain. Here again, work with your doctor to pick the right one for your
situation. I ended on generic Tylenol even though I prefer aspirin.

Gout is a challenge, I have it in both feet, my left hand and maybe my left
knee. I developed tophi until I made my dietary changes. Now things are
slowly improving again.

I wish you luck, my friend,
Peter G.