Tiger Lily

Jack..... i'm adding a couple of other newsgroups
so that you get wider coverage for your question
here

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Jack" > wrote in message
> I think my diabetes has started to degrade my

kidney function, because I
> have been having attacks of gout. Gout comes

from precipitation of ureic
> (sp) acid crystals into a joint, like the big

toe, from the blood, mainly
> because the kidneys are not adequately cleansing

the urea in the blood. I
> am told that one defense is to cut way back on

foods rich in the purines,
> such as the organ meats. I have been unable to

discover just exactly the
> purines are nor a database of purine contents in

foods. I am getting good
> results on the BG front from dietary control and

exercise, but need to be
> able to do a better job helping to avert gout

attacks. My internist has me
> on allopurinol and that seems to be helping. But

the affected toe always
> feels just on the verge of flaring up. Gout is

so very painful that I'd do
> almost anything to avoid it. I even asked about

amputating the affected
> toe but the doc said it would just show up

somewhere else. Arrrgh.