Vox Humana

Default Request - Soft Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

newsDlob.229262$9l5.33705@pd7tw2no...
> > > Anybody have a really good recipe for chocolate chip cookies that

retain a

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show..._17114,00.html

> I love Alton Brown's show Good Eats, although he has been getting a little
> weird lately. I saw that his recipe calls for kosher salt. Why does he
> always want kosher salt? Is it because it is pure salt?
>
> I was surprised to find out that some salt has other ingredients. I've
> even seen a salt in the US that has sugar in it. I'm assuming that kosher
> salt is just his way of ensuring it is pure sodium chloride (NaCl). Am I
> right? Or is there some other reason?

I agree that the show is becoming more bazaar. It seems to be the Food
Network way: style above substance. I use regular salt when I bake because
it has a smaller particle size than Kosher salt and distributes better and
doesn't get left behind in a sieve like Kosher salt. Most recipes are
formulated for regular table salt. If you want the same amount of Kosher
salt by weight you would have to use 1.5 times more Morton's Kosher salt and
2 times more Diamond Kosher salt than specified in the recipe. This is
because the different crystal sizes in each kind of salt pack together with
different densities.

Kosher salt doesn't have iodine or anti-caking agents added. I really doubt
that either of these things would be critical to a recipe in the amounts
used. Of course you can always get non-iodized table salt.