Beach Runner

usual suspect wrote:

>>> It's an abstract, not an article.

>> Correct.

> Next time call it an abstract rather than an article.
>
>>> Note that the number of self-reported "vegans" was 83, or 0.114966%
>>> of the population surveyed. That small of a sampling is statistically
>>> irrelevant for the purposes of comparing to the other samples.

>> He is either wrong about statistics,

> I'm not.
>
>> which I doubt, or lying.

> I'm not.
>
>> Statistics don't depend on huge sample sizes.

> Strawman. I noted that self-described "vegans" made up an infinitesimal
> percentage of the entire group surveyed in that study.
>
>> Most statistical studies are done on groups of 30 or so.

> Ipse dixit and false. Some studies are very small, some are quite large.
> The study in question was quite large. I pointed out that out of this
> very large survey, just over one-tenth of one-percent of those surveyed
> described themselves as vegans.
>
> The issue I've raised is the problem with comparing such a tiny sample
> against over 99.8% of those surveyed in such a study. Such a tiny sample
> is subject to skewing results, particularly when a sample like that is
> of people with an eating disorder and who are being studied for
> something altogether different (i.e., the study is a mammography cohort).
>
>> There are measurements called T Tests
>> to measure significance.

> That's a separate issue from the one I've raised.
>
> A caveat is that the confidence interval relates to the
> population sampled. If we have a small sample of part of a
> population, or a very small sample of the whole population, then
> the confidence interval that is generated is not necessarily
> that for the whole population.
> http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/bo...ossary/CI.html
>
>> I'm sure US knew this, but was misleading those that don't understand
>> statistics.

> I'm not misleading anyone. I'm pointing out the greater probability of
> skew in interpreting data from 0.114966% of the subjects of a survey and
> comparing it to data from the other >99.8%.
>
>> Unlike me, when I say, you're right, it was the abstract, not the
>> animal, Usual Suspects simples lies and abuses statistics.

> I neither lied nor abused anything.
>
>> In fact, too large a sample size has problems statistically.

> Not true, numb nuts. Here's a very understandable set of lecture notes
> about sample sizes.
>
> http://www.upa.pdx.edu/IOA/newsom/pa551/lecture4.htm
>
>> The sample size met the standards for the clinical journal.

> Which isn't very high. Acceptance criteria are originality, validity of
> data, clarity of writing, strength of conclusions, and potential
> importance. It's a peer-review journal, not the Bible of nutrition where
> every study is hallowed.
>
> http://www.ajcn.org/misc/Info_for_authors.pdf

Anti social lying Unusual Suspects doesn't seem to understand this was a
reported study in a respected journal. Instead he chooses to insult
people. He's obviously mentally ill. He's also forced to point out any
minor typo with an obsession, as if that makes him superior.

This is a study. A good study leads to more research and is replicated.
This was a good study from a leading journal.

Now he'll throw out more insults, demonstrating how mean and insulting
he is. He needs therapy to see why he insults people so often and is so
obsessed with typos.