sf

Default Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

On 31 Jan 2004 16:20:23 -0800, (N T)
wrote:

> There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
> There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
> Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
> water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
> just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
> Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
> is tasteless from being overcooked. Needless to say, my overcooking is
> the constant complaint. I try to keep it to the minimum time but can't
> seem to find the borderline. What do you think it is?

Your timing isn't unreasonable, provided you took it down to
a simmer after you brought it to a boil.... maybe the amount
of water was a little too much, but lots of people like a
thin broth... so next time add some SALT. Just a little
perks up a flat tasting dish (which is soup, in your case).