Dave Smith

"Dean G." wrote:

> Get a copy of the law. Is is a local (county) law ? If so, it only
> allies inside that jurisdiction. Also, local laws are fairly easy to
> get changed. You don't need a lobbyist to talk to the county councilman
> down the street. Make an issue of it at meetings and make sure you
> stress the jobs angle. This law costs our county jobs.

It's pretty hard to argue jobs when there is a public health issue. Around
here, you are subject to the regulations of the health department when you
are cooking commercially. They inspect the premises and they want to be
able to trace food to its source if there is an outbreak of food
poisoning. I can appreciate the rationale in that case, but the OP is
talking about cooking in someone's kitchen, so I can't see why those
concerns would apply here. It would be no different than them cooking for
themselves in their own kitchen, so long as all the food is being prepared
on site and not in the personal chef's kitchen.

There has been talk around here about clamping down on all food sales. That
will apply to home made jams and jellies made for bake sales and at local
fruit stands. That's a crying shame. Until my recent success with
strawberry jam I had had so many batches turn out poorly that I stopped
making it myself and used to get it at a neighbour's fruit stand. They
won't be able to sell the stuff any more.