Beach Runner

Beach Runner wrote:

> usual suspect wrote:

>>> You fool,

>> You complete ass.

> How kind. Does't address the issue.
>

>>> it's a tiny problem compared with cancer and coronary artery disease,
>>> improved with a vegan diet.

> That FACT remains.
>

>> Ipse dixit. Vegans die, too, you know. They die of heart disease and
>> cancer like everyone else.

> Yes, but far far more people die of cancer and heart desease. Let
> other's be the judge.

Notice even when I agree, vegans should get B12 checked, US insults me.

It turns out that B12 defiency is common even among meat eaters.
Everyone should get their levels checked. I did. While mine where
normal after 30 years of a vegan diet I agreed to inject B!@ to boost
the levels.

Newswise — These days, most health warnings about vitamins focus on
the danger of overdose. For vitamin B12, though, it's more likely that
people are getting too little. In fact, B12 deficiency is the most
common nutritional deficiency in the developing world and possibly in
the United States as well, reports the August issue of the Harvard
Health Letter.

Sometimes the only symptoms of a B12 deficiency are subtle cognitive
and neurological changes. More serious shortages can result in
dementia or anemia. Breast-fed infants of mothers with a B12
deficiency are at risk for severe developmental abnormalities and
irreversible neurological damage.

Vegans (people who don't eat any meat, dairy, or eggs) are most at
risk for developing a B12 deficiency because, aside from fortified
breakfast cereals, the only reliable dietary sources of vitamin B12
are animal-derived products. But even vegetarians who eat eggs and
dairy products consume, on average, less than half the adult
Recommended Dietary Allowance of 2.4 mcg of B12, notes the Health
Letter.

Some older people are also at high risk for developing B12 deficiency.
Up to 30% of people ages 50 and over suffer from atrophic gastritis, a
thinning of the stomach lining. This condition reduces the amount of
B12 absorbed by the small intestine. Certain other digestive
conditions and surgeries also can interfere with B12 absorption.

The Harvard Health Letter recommends that vegetarians and older people
with atrophic gastritis take a multivitamin, eat fortified breakfast
cereal, or both. A deficiency of vitamin B12 may affect balance,
memory, and perhaps mood. If you have these problems and you're in an
at-risk category, ask your doctor about getting a B12 blood test.

FULL STORY:
http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/513540/?sc=dwtn