Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Chicken soup -- how long to cook?

On 31 Jan 2004 16:20:23 -0800, (N T) wrote:

>There's a complaint in my house that I overcooked chicken in the soup.
>There are so many recipes for chicken soup. I did this:
>Put about four thighs and legs (organic) in the pot with 4 quarts
>water and some vegetables -- carrots, celery, onion, etc. Brought it
>just up to the boil, about to boil, then turned it down to simmer.
>Stopped it at 1 hour and 15 minutes. The complaint is that the chicken
>is tasteless from being overcooked. Needless to say, my overcooking is
>the constant complaint. I try to keep it to the minimum time but can't
>seem to find the borderline. What do you think it is?

Save all your bones, and get a "soup chicken" once in a while. Make
stock out of them after roasting in the oven. Then, when you make
chicken soup cook the veggies in the stock, and add eating chicken
near the end, so it will be just done. Don't try to use the meat on
the soup chicken except for croquettes or dumplings, where you can
season them directly.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the
simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.
- Richard Dawkins, "Viruses of the Mind"