Gunther Anderson

> After putting quartered walnuts in alcohol, the concoction got totaly
> black after 24 hours. Is it normal ?
>
> Does it have to stay on sun all day, from dawn to dusk ? I have
> enough sun on my windowsill up to midday.
>
> I know traditionally green walnuts are picked up on June 24, but I
> couldn't get them ad that date, I picked them up on July 18th, but
> the June was rainy and without much sun. Will it affect the taste,
> will the Nocino be too bitter ?
>
> Thank you.

You're probably not going to get a response - there are too many recipes
for nocine, and it's unlikely that someone else has precisely the recipe
you're using. I've got walnut recipes on my liqueurs site, but I've
never actually made any of them, so I can't say. My only thought is
that you might have left on the thin inner skin of the nut, which might
be really bitter. But I doubt the nut itself would be. In general,
sunlight in a liqueurs recipe is to warm up the jar and use some of
those high-energy photons to break down chemicals. And dissolve sugar.

So one thing is that there's no such thing as a perfect or correct
liqueur recipe. Every recipe has room for modification, and quantities
and timing are never set in stone. They're guidelines, and if you have
limitations, just do your best. It'll most likely come out OK. And if
it doesn't, it's at least a learning experience...

Good luck,
Gunther Anderson