crymad

Eric Jorgensen wrote:
> Cast iron pots are traditional for some japanese teas and have
> their advantages but they also demand more maintenance. I have
> a small Kafuh tetsubin i use from time to time.

How traditional and for what teas? In all my years living in
Japan, I never once saw someone use a tetsubin for brewing tea.
Boiling water, yes. But not brewing. Those porcelain-glaze on
the inside tetsubin that were all the rage here in the US some
years back seem exclusively an export item. Sort of like those
enormous "Kamado" barbecues that Playboy-age, swinging
suburbanites took a shine to in the 60's and 70's. An amusing
comparison, as these were ceramic glazed:

http://www.kamado.com/history.htm

--crymad