Pandora

"Bob" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora replied:
>
>>> I use chestnut flour in the wintertime to make chestnut polenta, which
>>> I serve with pork braised in milk. It's a wonderful combination.

>> This is a very good idea! I've never made it. I must try. Coul you give
>> me
>> the recipe also for pork braised in milk? I make a pork roast with milk;
>> want to confront my recipe with yours.

> This is the recipe I follow; it was posted by evergene in this group back
> in
> 1995:

> This recipe and the next one come from "The Classic Italian Cookbook", by
> Marcella Hazan. They are interesting and very tasty. Be advised,
> however,
> that Ms. Hazan is, uh, fussy. (We used to refer to her as "She Who Must
> Be
> Obeyed".) Note that she calls for slices of meat "3/8 inch thick."
>
> Pork Loin Braised in Milk
> (from "The Classic Italian Cookbook", by Marcella Hazan)
>
> (She writes Pork loin cooked by this method turns out to be
> exceptionally
> tender and juicy. It is quite delicate, because it loses all its fat and
> the milk, as such, disappears, to be replaced by clusters of delicious,
> nut-brown sauce.)
>
> 2 tablespoons butter
> 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
> 2 pounds pork loin in one piece, with some fat on it, securely tied
> 1 teaspoon salt
> Freshly ground black pepper
> 2 1/2 cups milk
>
> 1. Heat the butter and oil over medium-high heat in a casserole large
> enough
> to just contain the pork. When the butter foam subsides add the meat, fat
> side facing down. Brown thoroughly on all sides, lowering the heat if the
> butter starts to turn dark brown.
>
> 2. Add the salt, pepper and milk. (Add the milk slowly, otherwise it may
> boil over.) Shortly after the milk comes to a boil, turn the heat down to
> medium, cover, but not tightly, with the lid partly askew, and cook slowly
> for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the meat is easily pierced by a fork.
> Turn and baste the meat from time to time, and, if necessary, add a little
> milk. By the time the meat is cooked the milk should have coagulated into
> small nut-brown clusters. If it is still pale in color, uncover the pot,
> raise the heat to high, and cook briskly until it darkens.
>
> 3. Remove the meat to a cutting board and allow to cool off slightly for
> few minutes. Remove the trussing string, carve into slices 3/8 inch
> thick,
> and arrange them on a warm platter. Draw off most of the fat from the pot
> with a spoon and discard, being careful not to discard any of the
> coagulated
> milk clusters. Taste and correct for salt. (There may be as much as 1 to
> 1
> 1/2 cups of fat to be removed.) Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of warm water,
> [...]

Thank you Bob. Good recipe!
My recipe is similar. The only differences are these:
1) I lard the meat with pieces of bacon;
2) I brown the meat in butter and oil with a cloves of garlic and some
rosemary (rosemary give a particular and good taste to this dish), then I
wet with 1/2 glass of white wine.
3) I put a spoon of mustard in the milk.
4) I cook the pork in the oven for about 45 minutes;
I have made another dish with pork. Very very goooood!
It is loin with ananas and apples.
Cheers Bob and thanks for the recipe!
Pandora