Darrell Grainger

Default Why is Corn Syrup a key ingredient to Peanut Brittle?

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, shipwreck wrote:

> Hi all. Just made my first ever brittle and it came out quite nice.
> Basic recipe.
>
> Why is it that most recipes call for lite corn syrup? Why not just
> cook the sugar and water and get caramel and go from there?

I have been told that light corn syrup is good for delaying the
crystallization of sugar.

Additionally, it has been clarified to be perfectly clear and is often
favoured with vanilla. This means using light corn syrup will taste a
little different and will make your brittle clearer.

Don't send e-mail to