Julianne

Default "SuperMarket Me" - A documentary on my health problems from eating supermarket food

"mrbog" > wrote in message
om...
> (Geoff Miller) wrote in message

> awareness increased
> > If cigarette smoke is so toxic that even secondhand exposure
> > to it is a health hazard, consider the level of concentration
> > of the smoke that people inhale directly from their cigarettes.
> > Why, it'd be so insanely toxic that smokers would all drop dead
> > right where they stood, after a single puff!

> Musicians often have to play in bars. Bars are (used to be, at the
> time you're discussing) very smoky. I mean. VERY SMOKEY. If you're a
> jazz musician who doesn't smoke (yes, that exists), you'll have damn
> near all the problems of a smoker anyway. I should be allowed to be a
> musician without being a smoker. Other people's idiotic addiction
> shouldn't be making me a smoker.

As a nurse, I am aware that any clinical position I take has risks. I could
get stuck with an HIV or Hepatitis B infected needle. I could put my back
out trying to move a very large patient. I could suffer psychological
damage if I inadvertently harmed a patient. In my current role as a
consultant, I could cost my clients millions of dollars if I did something
incorrect. There are risks that come with every job.

It seems to me that if a jazz musician wanted to work, he or she would take
into consideration the risks inherent with the job. When the risks are
greater than the benefits, it is time to move on. In the 80's, a lot of
nurses moved on because they were not comfortable with the risk of HIV.
Canadian nurses, not comfortable with SARS quit their jobs.

There is no law that says those who employ entertainers have to ensure that
jazz musicians have a smoke free environment. If you don't want to assume
the risk, find another line of work.