Bluesea

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
news:20050727135836.5893b6ac@wafer...
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:26:05 -0500
> "Bluesea" > wrote:
>
> > Iron is better for ...? Hmm...in general, metal dissipates heat faster
> > than earthenware and some swear that a metallic taste is added to the
> > brew although I don't know about cast iron in particular. May need to

use
> > a potholder since metal handles are typically significantly hotter than
> > glass or porcelain.

<excellent info snipped>

> Metal does dissipate heat faster. The point of the cast iron pot,
> however, is that you can pre-heat the pot by filling it with boiling water
> for a few minutes, then dumping that water, adding the tea, and steeping.
>
> Properly pre-heated, tea in my tetsubin stays hot far longer than tea

in
> any of my glass pots.
>
> - Eric "Cast Iron Chef" Jorgensen

Thanks for the good info.

I thought preheating is SOP for all teapots (except the IngenuiTea) but this
sounds like you don't preheat your glass pots. Have you compared preheated
glass to preheated metal? I know that glass doesn't retain heat as well as
ceramic so wouldn't expect your tetsubin to be better than glass.

--
~~Bluesea~~