Bob

Pandora replied:

>> I use chestnut flour in the wintertime to make chestnut polenta, which
>> I serve with pork braised in milk. It's a wonderful combination.

> This is a very good idea! I've never made it. I must try. Coul you give me
> the recipe also for pork braised in milk? I make a pork roast with milk; I
> want to confront my recipe with yours.

This is the recipe I follow; it was posted by evergene in this group back in
1995:

This recipe and the next one come from "The Classic Italian Cookbook", by
Marcella Hazan. They are interesting and very tasty. Be advised, however,
that Ms. Hazan is, uh, fussy. (We used to refer to her as "She Who Must Be
Obeyed".) Note that she calls for slices of meat "3/8 inch thick."

Pork Loin Braised in Milk
(from "The Classic Italian Cookbook", by Marcella Hazan)

(She writes Pork loin cooked by this method turns out to be exceptionally
tender and juicy. It is quite delicate, because it loses all its fat and
the milk, as such, disappears, to be replaced by clusters of delicious,
nut-brown sauce.)

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds pork loin in one piece, with some fat on it, securely tied
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 cups milk

1. Heat the butter and oil over medium-high heat in a casserole large enough
to just contain the pork. When the butter foam subsides add the meat, fat
side facing down. Brown thoroughly on all sides, lowering the heat if the
butter starts to turn dark brown.

2. Add the salt, pepper and milk. (Add the milk slowly, otherwise it may
boil over.) Shortly after the milk comes to a boil, turn the heat down to
medium, cover, but not tightly, with the lid partly askew, and cook slowly
for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the meat is easily pierced by a fork.
Turn and baste the meat from time to time, and, if necessary, add a little
milk. By the time the meat is cooked the milk should have coagulated into
small nut-brown clusters. If it is still pale in color, uncover the pot,
raise the heat to high, and cook briskly until it darkens.

3. Remove the meat to a cutting board and allow to cool off slightly for a
few minutes. Remove the trussing string, carve into slices 3/8 inch thick,
and arrange them on a warm platter. Draw off most of the fat from the pot
with a spoon and discard, being careful not to discard any of the coagulated
milk clusters. Taste and correct for salt. (There may be as much as 1 to 1
1/2 cups of fat to be removed.) Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of warm water, turn
the heat to high, and boil away the water while scraping and loosening all
the cooking residue in the pot. Spoon the sauce over the sliced pork and
serve immediately.

Although it isn't authentic, I usually add prunes or dried apricots to the
milk right at the beginning.

Bob