Pandora

"Boron Elgar" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:52:35 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
>>Yesterday I made a trip with my boyfriend in the nothern of Piemonte. I
>>went
>>to Formazza (Verbania), a little country near Switzerland about at 1300 at
>>sea level.
>>Here we have ate *chestnut dumplings* (gnocchi di castagne), seasoned with
>>butter and sage.
>>And then some local cheese and salami.
>>I hadn't made the photo of chestnut dumplings, but I would like to make
>>them because they were very very good.
>>I ask myself if in Us you have the chestnut flour indispensable for this
>>dish.
>>Here his some photo of the country I visited and I hope you enjoy them
>>like
>>I do:
>>http://tinypic.com/9hs6mv.jpg
>>http://tinypic.com/9hs6xs.jpg
>>http://tinypic.com/9hs70x.jpg
>>http://tinypic.com/9hs77n.jpg
>>http://tinypic.com/9hs8p1.jpg
>>
>>When I will make dumplings, I will send you other photos.
>>Cheers
>>Pandora
>>

> I would love a recipe. I have some wonderful sage in the garden that
> would be perfect.
>
> A cheese suggestion, too, please....Does this need to be a grated
> cheese such as a Parmigiano or Pecorino? I wonder how a gorgonzola
> would taste crumbled over the gnocchi?

Gorgonzola, IMHO, has a very hard taste, so it would cover delicacy of this
kind of Gnocchi. that's why they put over only butter and sage.
On the other hand, butter and sage, aren't so flavourful. Perhaps it would
go better a creamy sauce with walnuts, "Fontina" (a piedmontese cheese), few
milk to melt cheese and if you want few minced sausage. Yes, I think i will
do like this.
To make chestnut dumplings is very simple: boil 5-6 medium potatoes and when
they are soft, peel and squash them over the pastry board. Make an hole
inside. Then put in the hole two whole eggs and mix with potatoes. At this
point you can start to add chestnut flour. You must add flour till the
mixture is rather hard.
Then you take a piece of mixture (as big as a tennis ball) and roll it over
the floured pastry board (back and forth) with the hand's palms. It should
comes out a long snake of pastry ( about one centimeter of diameter) that
you will cut with a knife in little rectangle of about 2 centimeters lenght.
Put your Gnocchi on a big and floured tray (if you want you can froze them
with the tray, and when they are hard you can put in a freezer container).
When the salted water boil (put in the water also 1-2 spoons of oil), plunge
gnocchi and mix a little (with a long spoon) only the first time. Gnocchi
are ready when they come on the surface.
This is what I will do next saturday. Then I will tell you, but if you want
to try before., you can follow this recipe.

> Chestnut flour can easily be ordered online here in the US.

Is a fortune ))

Cheers
Pandora