Roy

>Actually, you are wrong. This recipe is from my x german sister in law in
>Wuppertal, Germany. I have made it many times and it is exactly like the
>Vollkornbrot you can buy here or in a can made in Germany.

Your German sister in law is having its own delusion( and laziness
possibly) for not even atttempting to make the real product
..Unfortunately you are lucky enough to be influenced by such form of
thinking as well!

M&M Mompeagram,
I have made German type breads in the past and had done product
developments along this line when I was still employed as a research
baker in one company manufacturing prepared bread mixes.
I also toyed with your idea using the quick bread method but was
ridiculed by the German baking consultant for such petty
interpretation of their breads.
He told me bluntly ,,,only disperate and less informed people will
succumb to such shallow interpretation of their beloved breads!
..If you had only experienced and tasted the bread made with sourdough
and its variances and preference for native Germans for such kind of
product you will understand what I mean.
In my experience never you can equate a quick bread recipe with
biologically leavened bread.

>Also, Vollkornbrot is NOT a RAISED bread. It doesn't rise.

Your interpretation of leavening or raising agents is shallow . that
every time you add yeast or chemical raising agents you are always
expanding the product like what you see with your cakes and well risen
bread.
German breads are not all like that.They have breads that contains
leavening agents that don't even change its size when baked nor have
an open grain which we can attribute to the presence of such raising or
leavening agents.
Leavening/raising agents is a broad term for any ingredient that
will interact in the dough or batter system to increase gas cell
size, so it can improve the texture by modifying the crumb structure
(but not necessarily the volum)
In bread, that is taken care of by yeast and lactobacteria; on the
other hand in batter system the chemical leavening agent also do the
same thing but in addition exerts its effect through the
neutralization process..
Therefore the chemical leavening agent such as baking powder, baking
soda and acid function differently from the biological leavening agents
such as yeast and other microbes.

Roy