Saunam

M=E5rten Nilsson wrote:
> I bought a hg of assam today. The shop had two kinds to choose from -
> FOP and TGFOP. The only difference seemed to be the size of the leaves.
> The size of the FOP leaves were larger. The price was the same. Now,
> I've read that TGFOP means it's good, but I've also read that larger leav=

es
> are better than smaller leaves. What is the difference between these two
> teas?
>
> /M=E5rten

You are correct that TGFOP and FOP are leaf-size classifications. The
basic grade names (SFTGFOP, FTGFOP, GFBOP etc.) are not used by grower
to classify whether there is tips or orange flavor or not. These are
used strictly for leaf classification. Therefore it's a classic mistake
to try and understand a grade by trying to figure out what's a Super
Fine Tippy Golden Flower Orange Pekoe - all it means is that it is the
smallest whole leaf and is a first fine of the factory production
process. If this SFTGFOP has a 1 (SFTGFOP-1) behind it, it means that
there is tips. Similarly, TGFOP does not mean there is tips - however,
TGFOP-1 confirms that there is tips (two tips or more). These are good
for whole leaf. When it comes to brokens, the T in the front actually
means that there is tips. For example, GFBOP is no tips whereas TGFBOP
is tippy.

The most common whole leaf grades from assam (based on leaf size). From
smallest leaf size to largest leaf size:
1=2E SFTGFOP
2=2E FTGFOP
3=2E TGFOP
4=2E GFOP
5=2E FOP
6=2E OP
Now if you see any of the above grades with a 1 or Sp. (special) behind
them - they are either special production or tippy varieties. If you
see a CL behind them, it means they were harvested from 100% clonal
variety plants.

The most common brokens - From largest to smallest leaves:
1=2E FBOP
2=2E GFBOP
3=2E GBOP

Now if you see any of the above grades with a T in the front - they are
tippy varieities.

If you memorize these grades and their size classifications, I can
assure you that you know more than the majority of commercial tea
buyers in North America.

I have found very confused buyers in the most reputable firms because
they tend to get caught in the "super fine tippy..." lingo instead of
developing their nose, palate and sight.

Cheers