Vox Humana

"Fritz" > wrote in message
news:2005072514095616807%mtropiclnospam@nospamopto nlinenet...
> can anyone share their experiences making pie crust with liquid
> shortening and/or butter?
> better worse, the same?

Flakiness in pastry comes from surrounding particles of fat with a "paste"
or dough. Using liquid shortening will give you a very fragile crust that
is not flaky. Also, oils don't usually have much flavor, unless you use
olive oil.

The only reason that I see consistently given for using oil is in relation
to technique. That is, people who haven't mastered cutting fat into the
flour often find that using oil is easier. They always tell you that the
pastry is very tender, which it is. It isn't flaky however.

I find the best results come from a combination of butter and solid
shortening. This gives a very flavorful crust that flaky, tender, and easy
to handle.