Ken Blake

In news:T1xEe.563$3p2.283@trndny04,
Gary > typed:

> After finding what looked like a great Sangria recipe, I took
> the low
> road and bought a 32oz bottle of SANGRIA ROJA MIX at William
> Sanoma
> which is a recipe from Rick Bayless:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8xbkl
>
> The bottle says "Just add Wine".
>
> Ok, I bought a bottle of Carlos Rossi Burgundy which is
> supposed to
> be an acceptable inexpensive, dry table wine for Sangria.

It's inexpensive. Whether it's acceptable depends on your taste.
It wouldn't be to me.

> Some questions:
>
> (1) Even though the directions on Bayless' mix says to add one
> bottle
> of chilled, red, fruity wine to two cups (16 oz.) of the
> Sangria mix,
> it doesn't say what amount of wine in ounces. I bought the
> biggest
> bottle of Carlos Rossi Burgundy and it comes in different
> sizes.
>
> How much red wine do I add to the Sangria mix?

The word "bottle," although it may seem non-specific, is actually
a specific standard size. It's 750 mL, approximately 25 oz.

> (2) This Sangria mix from Bayless has no alcohol in it. I
> wonder if I
> should add some Contreau to the mixture? I am asking because
> that is
> what I have seen in other recipes. More alcohol than just wine.

There are many different ways to make sangria. try it without it
and then add a little to see if *you* think it's an improvement.

> (3) How about adding some cut fruit into the pitcher or is that
> overkill?

That also is commonly done. Again, try it and see what you think.
I'm not a sangria lover, so none of this excites me. But that's
fine; there's lots of room in the world for different tastes.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup