Old 20-07-2005, 04:54 AM
Tom

The Hebrew word for pulse in Daniel 1:12 is

zeroa` zay-ro'-ah

or zeraSon {zay-raw-ohn'}; from 2232; something
sown (only in the plural), i.e. a vegetable (as
food):--pulse.

There is another reference to pulse in 2 Samuel 17:28, but the Hebrew
word here is

qaliy kaw-lee'

or qaliyi {kaw-lee'}; from 7033; roasted ears of
grain:--parched corn.

The reference in Daniel indicates vegetables, not just one.
The reference in 2 Samuel is parched corn.

Thank you for your comments. I will keep looking

Tom

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 23:41:46 +0100, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

I am looking for a recipe for "pulse", the food that Daniel ate
in the Old Testament.

You aren't going to get anywhere without knowing the Hebrew word
(and what it means).

There is a Jewish cooking group, I think, they might know.

"Pulse" in English means a legume, which in Daniel's time and
place would presumably be ful medames (broad beans, field beans).
But the translators might have been guessing as much as I am.