Katra

Default Low carb diet and heart disease...

In article >,
Default User > wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>
> > For my second opinion, I think that whether a diet works well for a person
> > depends more on psychology than anything else. If Atkins or some
> > variation works well for you, that's great. That doesn't mean it will
> > work well for someone else.

> I agree with that strongly. The business with medical studies is
> extremely tricky. Basically what they do is amass reams of anecdotal
> evidence and sort through looking for correlations. That's because it's
> difficult to perform controlled experiments on people. You can't get
> groups of children, feed them different diets over a span of years, and
> see which group has the higher incidence of heart disease. They aren't
> lab animals. You can do that with medication to a certain extent, but
> not so much with diet. You can have the short term studies, "eat oatmeal
> and your cholesterol goes down or maybe it doesn't."
>
> Studies in the past seemed to show high fat diets to be deterimental to
> health. Newer studies seem to show high carbs may be. Does that mean the
> old studies were wrong? Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps these are wrong.
> Perhaps these are right. Latching on to any study and saying, "OK, we
> have the truth now!" is probably misguided at best.

Gods that is SO true! :-)
Well stated. <applause>

> Studies do seem to show that being overweight is a major contributor to
> heart disease, no matter how you got there.
>
> You lose weight by reducing caloric intake. What means you use is highly
> individual. As I said in a previous message, the sorry fact is that most
> people who lose weight by whatever means gain it back, most within a
> relatively short period of time. It ain't easy.

"Diets" don't work. Period.
It's a matter of changing lifestyles, permanently.
Eat less, move more. The equation is simple.

But the fact remains that in order for your body to function (on it's
main fuel of glucose), protien is a far less efficient fuel than simple
carbs. Hence the huge number of folks flocking to low carb diets.

If you can lose weight on carbs, then KEEP it off, congrats. :-)

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...