Curly Sue

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:58:41 GMT, "Ceil Wallace"
> wrote:

>When I make streusel using butter, flour, sugar (brown or white) and
>cinnamon it never comes out like the streusel I get on cakes and buns from
>the bakery. Mine gets a bit crisp while the bakery streusel is nice and
>soft and is formed in little round clumps rather than loose and granular
>like mine. Is there a specific technique or what am I doing wrong?

It depends on your recipe. I did a study on streusel several years
ago while trying to duplicate a streusel bread. Use cake flour for
softness. Melted butter stirred into the dry ingredients (rather than
cutting in solid butter) will make the clumps. You can soften it
further by covering the cake while it's still a bit warm.

Sue(tm)