Ozzy

"Mike Petro" > wrote in news:1121177282.556391.107080
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I heard on NPR that as of yesterday PayPal is now open in China. This
> could prove very interesting in opening the doors to small purchases
> directly from smaller Chinese vendors. Previously only foreigners
> living in China, or Chinese with foreign connections, had access to
> Paypal. Since most Chinese did not have access to Paypal it was often
> cost prohibitive to deal with the Bank Transfers, and other hoops that
> you had to jump through, for just a small order. Now, as more Chinese
> Vendor's get online with Paypal it could become quite simple. This
> should also improve the Chinese tea quality and prices available
> domestically since competition will almost certainly increase. It will
> probably put an end to $5 cakes being sold for $80, for once I think
> the consumer will win.
>
> Mike
> http://www.pu-erh.net

I think that depends on the number, cost and frustration level of the
"hoops you have to jump throuigh", both for the small Chinese merchants &
their Western customers (for example, how about a "special" fee to get an
export permit, permitting a small busnessperson to tap those lucrative
overseas markets?)

Maybe consumers will benefit, though -- but I wouldn't be surprised if
they'll have to me more alert to do so.

Ozzy