Brick

On 10-Jul-2005, Grizzly > wrote:

> You all rock.
>
> With my crappy Char-broil, I just made th' best damned pulled pork I
> ever had.

Congratulations. It's an open and shut case that with a little practice
one can make 'Q' that is superior in every respect to commercial offerings.]

> I still couldn't get the internal meat temp up above 174--and after
> about 3 hours of it sitting at 174, I put a thermometer dead center on
> the grill and guess what? 174. No wonder it wouldn't go higher! (And
> that's with a wind shelter AND thermal insulation around th' thing.) I
> wonder if altitude has anything to do with it--I'm at about 6000 feet.

Voila!!! Altitude is the Archtypal enemy of the pitmaster. You need all the
draft you can get. I don't think there is a production BBQ Pit that is
actually suited to high altitude cooking. You need a 4" dia chimney from
grate level and at least 4 ft tall. You're not going to make it with a flat-
lander's rig. I lived in Longmont, Co for 12 years.

> Anyway I ended up finishing it in the oven at 250--took another hour,
> hour-fifteen, maybe to get to 185. Then let it sit for an hour,
> wrapped in foil. It shredded/pulled perfectly, the bark was fantastic
> (I tasted while I was shredding) moist, juicy, melt-in-my-mouth
> tender.

If it's true that 'The end justifies the means', you have just proven it.

> Only weird thing I noticed is that some parts of it were bright red
> (from the smoke) and others weren't--does meat often absorb smoke
> irregularly?

Apparently uneven smoke penetration is more common then not.

> And until I can afford a real grill (it's gonna be a ceramic one, I
> think) is it 'cheating' to finish it in the oven? I have a Weber Gas
> Grill--would that be 'less cheating'?

The concept of 'cheating' is not applicable to good food. However,
shortcuts that result in less then superb 'Q' are unacceptable.

> Anyway, thanks again to everyone. This newbie really appreciates all
> your help!

You're more then welcome.
--
The BrickŪ said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I've already changed my
mind. )