Julie Bove

news:tOXze.113331$yV4.39557@okepread03...

> Julie,
>
> This doesn't answer your specific question, but have you looked at recipe
> sites that are designed for people with celiac disease? I have a friend
> with celiac, and she has to avoid much of what Angela also cannot have.
> Perhaps you could get some ideas from one of their recipes.

Yeah. Unfortunately, soy is included in many of their recipes. And then my
diabetes seems to complicate things because I want to come up with something
we can all eat. I did come up with a way to make the beans and they were
wonderful! I used 2 pounds of navy beans. Soaked them for about 5 hours.
Decided this was long enough of a soak since they were getting nicely soft.
I drained off the water, added fresh water, brought to a boil and simmered
for about an hour. They were soft at this point.

I then drained and transferred them to my large crockpot, added not quite a
full package of bacon that had been fried to a crisp and cut into tiny
pieces, 3 chopped yellow onions that had been caramelized in the bacon
grease, about 1/4 cup of GF molasses, plenty of 1 carb ketchup, some
prepared mustard, 6 packets of Splenda, salt and pepper and a bit of water.
I didn't really measure these other ingredients. Just added to taste.

I set the crockpot on low and cooked the beans for about 17 hours. I did
have to stir them a few times towards the end. They got very nice and brown
and very sweet! Had I gone by taste alone, I would have thought them to be
loaded with sugar. I think the trick is in getting the onions nicely
caramelized to start with and the slow cooking for such a long time.

--
See my webpage: