Julie Bove

"WeeBit" > wrote in message
> We are fixing to be hit by Hurricane Dennis they told us to get ready now.
> We have to prepare as though we have no water and source to cook. I am a
> Type II. I am lost guys at what food to get. I need help please. I am
> new at this. I sure don't need to be stuck at home without be able to

leave
> and no phone and power and my numbers going up. I apologize for the

cross
> posting but this is important.

Buy plenty of canned things. You can simply open the can and eat them, no
heating required. Sure, some things taste better heated, but when you've
got no choice, you've got no choice! Canned green beans are a good low carb
thing to keep onhand. For protein, look for shelf stable cheeses. Velveeta
is one such, but must be refrigerated after opening. So if you get that
kind, buy small ones. I was able to get some locally made shelf stable
cheese when I lived in NY that came in individually wrapped wedges. The
taste was no so great, but it was edible. You could also buy cans or
pouches of tuna, chicken or Vienna sausages. Just make sure to buy things
in small portions unless you are feeding a family. Canned soup and chili
are other options. Just eat them without heating. Peanut butter and
crackers are a good option if you can eat that many carbs. Now granted the
shelf stable peanut butter contains trans-fats that you wouldn't normally
want to eat, but it's okay in an emergency. You could also try beef jerky.
And make sure to have plenty of bottled water in both gallon size and
individual bottles.

We managed to survive that power outage during the heat wave when I lived in
NY. We are mainly peanut butter on bread or crackers, shelf stable cheese
and veggies straight from the can. I also had a few of those packages of
tuna with crackers. It wasn't fun. And do to the severe heat and lack of
AC, we were very tired and not very hungry. Mainly we drank a lot of water
(our water wasn't shut off, luckily) and tried to rest.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if you are unable to eat properly for 2-3
days. After all, this is an emergency situation.
--
See my webpage: