WeeBit

Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
: In article >,
: "WeeBit" > wrote:
:
:: We are fixing to be hit by Hurricane Dennis they told us to get
:: ready now. We have to prepare as though we have no water and source
:: to cook. I am a Type II. I am lost guys at what food to get. I
:: need help please. I am new at this. I sure don't need to be stuck
:: at home without be able to leave and no phone and power and my
:: numbers going up. I apologize for the cross posting but this is
:: important.
:
: Assuming I were anticipating having no power or water for a couple of
: days, I'd lay in a supply of:
:
: bottled water, seltzer, and diet soda
: bottled iced tea (I'm a tea drinker)
: powdered milk
: genuine whole grain bread (not just brown white bread) -- one loaf in
: the bread box and one loaf put in the freezer now.
: cans of tuna, salmon, corned beef, deviled ham/chicken
: little packets of mayo if I could find them, ditto mustard
: celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, berries, peaches/apples
: good dark green lettuce (start the powerless period with a big salad)
: nuts
: dark chocolate
: peanut butter
: jerky
: more bottles of water
: candles
: batteries for radio
: aspirin and other first aid kit items
: pet food (heck, even if you don't have a pet, some needy neighbor
: might and be really grateful to you) ;-)
: more bottles of water
: any prescription meds which will run out within a week
:
: None of the food stuffs above actually needs to be refrigerated if
: it's just for a couple of days. Finish any cans that are opened
: within an hour or so.
:
: Right now take a bunch of plastic containers, fill them with water and
: put them in the freezer. They can keep things cold later. Do you
: have a cold chest or chiller bag? This will be useful when the
: power's out and you don't want to open the fridge often. Put the jar
: of mayo, carton of milk/cream, and other stuff you want cold but want
: to access frequently in the chiller bag with some of your pre-made
: ice chunks. That'll allow you to not open your fridge, thus possibly
: preserving its contents longer.
:
: Fill the bathtub with cold water. Also any buckets you have. (This
: is for toilet flushing.)
:
: That's all that comes to mind right now.
:
: Good luck!
:
: Priscilla

list they told us to have:

Bottled Water plus
Food

Store at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food. Select foods that
require no refrigeration, preparation or cooking, and little or no water. If
you must heat food, pack a can of sterno. Select food items that are compact
and lightweight. Include a selection of the following foods in your Disaster
Supplies Kit:
Ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits, and vegetables
Canned juices
Staples (salt, sugar, pepper, spices, etc.)
High energy foods
Vitamins
Food for infants
Comfort/stress foods