Priscilla H. Ballou

In article >,
"WeeBit" > wrote:

> We are fixing to be hit by Hurricane Dennis they told us to get ready now.
> We have to prepare as though we have no water and source to cook. I am a
> Type II. I am lost guys at what food to get. I need help please. I am
> new at this. I sure don't need to be stuck at home without be able to leave
> and no phone and power and my numbers going up. I apologize for the cross
> posting but this is important.

Assuming I were anticipating having no power or water for a couple of
days, I'd lay in a supply of:

bottled water, seltzer, and diet soda
bottled iced tea (I'm a tea drinker)
powdered milk
genuine whole grain bread (not just brown white bread) -- one loaf in
the bread box and one loaf put in the freezer now.
cans of tuna, salmon, corned beef, deviled ham/chicken
little packets of mayo if I could find them, ditto mustard
celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, berries, peaches/apples
good dark green lettuce (start the powerless period with a big salad)
nuts
dark chocolate
peanut butter
jerky
more bottles of water
candles
batteries for radio
aspirin and other first aid kit items
pet food (heck, even if you don't have a pet, some needy neighbor might
and be really grateful to you) ;-)
more bottles of water
any prescription meds which will run out within a week

None of the food stuffs above actually needs to be refrigerated if it's
just for a couple of days. Finish any cans that are opened within an
hour or so.

Right now take a bunch of plastic containers, fill them with water and
put them in the freezer. They can keep things cold later. Do you have
a cold chest or chiller bag? This will be useful when the power's out
and you don't want to open the fridge often. Put the jar of mayo,
carton of milk/cream, and other stuff you want cold but want to access
frequently in the chiller bag with some of your pre-made ice chunks.
That'll allow you to not open your fridge, thus possibly preserving its
contents longer.

Fill the bathtub with cold water. Also any buckets you have. (This is
for toilet flushing.)

That's all that comes to mind right now.

Good luck!

Priscilla