Julie Bove

"Vicki Beausoleil" > wrote in message

> If your beans are too watery then remove some, mash them, mix back in
> and cook a bit more. Natural thickener.
>
> Here's what I do. I never use a recipe, but this is the method.

<snip>

I made my beans last night/today and they came out great! I pretty much
followed your recipe. I did use 2 pounds of beans and added not quite a
pound of bacon. I cut the bacon in tiny pieces, fried it till crisp and
then used the bacon grease to caramelize the onions before I added them. I
drained most of the grease from the bacon and onions before adding them. I
only used about 1/2 cup of molasses for the whole recipe. I did add 6
packets of Splenda for additional sweetness. I think the molasses is
essential though for the dark color and also the flavor. I could not use
any of the other browning things I might have used in the past because they
contain things my daughter can't eat.

I put everything in the crockpot around midnight last night and left them to
cook on low. The beans tasted wonderful this morning and were beginning to
brown nicely around the edges. They've now been cooking for about 13 hours.
They are getting more brown and taste even better. I figure that by dinner
they will be to die for! I have a vent in my kitchen and the baked bean
scent is wafting through the neighborhood. Smells divine! But it's making
me want to eat them.

I will have to try to restrain myself come dinner time. Last night, my
daughter and I made some gluten free, egg free, soy free, dairy free
chocolate brownies. We used a very thin chocolate glaze on top and also
some acceptable chocolate sprinkles. Not all of them would fit on the
serving plate. She and I kept going back and sampling the ones left in the
pan. Okay for her maybe, but not something I should be doing! I did cut
them into tiny pieces so it wasn't too much damage. But they sure were
good!

I also made some sugar free Jell-O in a flag mold. I used a mix of cherry
and raspberry and added those canned, tart pie cherries. I drained them
very well and mixed with Splenda. Tastes just like cherry pie!

--
See my webpage: