Day Dreamer

Default Cleaning a grill - newbie question?

Hi ya`ll - hope you don`t mind answering a question from a newbie. We`re
not hard core BBQ`ers/grillers/cooks users here, but we though we`d
break out this old little charcoal grill we had laying around and use it
today.

We haven`t used this grill in a few years. The grill/grate part - where
you lay the food - is black and kind of rusty. We tried scubbing it with
a scrubby pad and dish soap, but weren`t able to get much of it off. We
have used stuff in a spray can before labeled as "grlll cleaner", but BF
claims it was useless.

Is it ok to cook our food on this grill? And any suggestions for
cleaning it? We have long since lost the manual, and we really don`t
even do this often.

Thanks alot to anyone who reads or replies - and happy 4th to all! Happy
eating!

~~DD~~