alzelt

Default Whole salmon, doubt

MEow wrote:

> While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, alzelt of AT&T Worldnet
> said:
>

>>Just a thought, but we only buy whole salmon. What we do is have it
>>filleted. tell them you want head and bones, too. The SBF makes the
>>world's best salmon soup.
>>

> Recipe?

Sorry to bring you bad news, but the SBF is not very good at fessing up
to recipes; and if she did, they would be in Finnish anyway.

>>When you get home, freeze the bones and head for use in soup. Then take
>>the two fillets they give you and cut them up into sizes appropriate for
>>each meal. Then wrap each fillet in a piece of saran wrap, followed by
>>placing one in each of as many as you need, freezer bags.
>>

> Sounds like a good idea, though I'll probably try to filet it, myself.
> I expect to be able find a description without too many problems.

First, when you buy the fish, the filleting is done FREE. I have never
seen otherwise. Second, while it's easy to fillet, many people never
seem to get out the pin bone, which later is a pain when eating your
salmon. So, unless you have a yen to do this task, let the fishmonger do
it for you. Generally speaking, they will do a better job.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener