Vicki Beausoleil

Julie Bove wrote:

> "None Given" > wrote in message
>
> > Maybe davinci has a flavor that would work. DH puts onions and bacon in
> > his, but he uses brown sugar.

> Maybe. But they are rather watery. Seems like that would not give the
> right consistency.
>
> --
> See my webpage:
> http://mysite.verizon.net/juliebove/index.htm

If your beans are too watery then remove some, mash them, mix back in
and cook a bit more. Natural thickener.

Here's what I do. I never use a recipe, but this is the method.

Soak 1 lb. pea beans overnight. Change water, bring to a boil then
simmer about an hour until the skins split. Drain, put in Dutch oven
with a ton of onions, a couple of tablespoons prepared mustard, about
1/4 cup ketchup or you could use tomato paste, lots of pepper, 1/4 - 1/2
cup molasses or as much as you think you should. Cover beans with
boiling water and cook in a 200 degree F oven for at least 8 hours. Add
boiling water if necessary. Uncover and continue to bake to darken and
thicken. Stir occasionally. This recipe gets better the longer it cooks,
I've cooked it for 24 hours and it's great. I put neither meat nor
sweetener in my beans.

Very important: Don't salt anything until beans are very tender. Salt
will toughen the beans and they won't absorb water well.

This recipe makes my 8-qt. Dutch oven almost full. 15 - 20 servings at
least. They never seem to taste the same twice, but hub always gobbles
them up with a 'you should make these more often'. Excellent with eggs
for breakfast in the morning.
I've used the same method in the crockpot, but they don't darken as
much. The oven works better.

HTH

Vicki