Michael Plant

Lewis 6/28/05

> "Martin Rosenberg" > writes:
>
>> Dieter Folz schrieb:
>> ... or in a pot (just leave bags in it).
>>

>> Hm, that's what is puzzling me. I read the sites you've mentioned
>> (pg-tips.de.vu and fatsquirrel.org) and I also know the Braman Museum
>> tea site, where the traditional English way to prepare tea is shown.
>> All three explain the habit to leave the tea in the pot. Is there a
>> trick to it?

> I doubt it, settling for something you don't enjoy very much is a
> trick.
>
>> Otherwise I can imagine, you'll have a problem of a too weak tea at
>> the beginning and a far too strong tea at the end?! Or is it true,
>> that English teas like PG Tips are "designed" for that kind of
>> praparation and infuse there full content of armoa completely in the
>> first minute?
>> Any suggestions?

> Try pouring off all the tea liquor when it's done.
>
> If you still don't like the taste, try leaf tea rather than teabags.
>
> I think the question here is how much pleasure you expect to get from
> the taste and aroma, and how much effort you're willing to exert in
> preparing the tea.
>
> /Lew

Hi guys,

Let me chime in here. Awhile back I took some loose-leaf PG Tips and Typhoo
for comparison. I found that because the leaves are CTC -- as opposed to my
usual whole leaf -- my first two or three tries failed as I brewed the tea
much too strong and lost the malty qualities and whatever subtlety the tea
offers. Brewed lighter, I found them quite OK, PG Tips being the more
pleasant of the two. I think they're tricky teas, and I think that steep
length and amount of tea need to be worked out carefully for individual
taste. These are not forgiving teas. That's from my experience. If the
discussion is about decanting, that's an absolute must.

Michael